Remember the famous saying of Tyrion Lannister in the Game of Thrones? Just a quick reminder, our favourite GoT character said that ‘a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone’. The purpose behind making you remind of these lines is to tell you that if you want to improve your mental and physical health, then you should definitely pick up a book and start reading it.
It is important that you read books. If you are not doing this that you really are not progressing with your brain-body health. To justify our advice, here are a few reasons:
- Reading is important because it brings different parts of your brain to come together and connects. In simple terms, it means that reading is a mental exercise and it gives muscle to your memory. Reading helps in concentration and your mind becomes more focused.
- It is believed that reading keeps the brain young and active. According to a study conducted by the Rush University Medical Center, people who spend their time reading have a 32 per cent slower rate of cognitive decline as they age. This proves that reading can be very useful for mental health.
- If you want to improve your vocabulary, reading can prove quite fruitful. Everyone loves and admires a person who has a good vocabulary. Reading ensures that you learn newer, better and more interesting words in order to add it to your lexicon.
- If you are under a lot of stress, reading will definitely help you in distracting your mind and will make you relax for some time. Reading will give your mind the fodder it needs to get rid of everything that is making you anxious.
- Reading can also become one of your recreational activities. Instead of visiting restaurants and cinema halls, you can visit a bookstore and immerse yourself in literary adventures. This will also prove less costly and more rewarding.