There is a study which says that people who take proton pump inhibitors (PPI) to combat stomach acid are more vulnerable to kidney ailments than those who consumed other types of drugs to remedy the condition.
The study also said that the people who have PPI with H2 Blockers are 28.4 times more likely to report chronic kidney problems. Also, they were more likely to develop acute kidney injury, end-stage renal disease, and unspecified kidney impairments.
As per World Health Organisation, PPIs are important medications for people who suffer from heartburn and also helps them remedy some of the symptoms of the condition. All the results of the study were published in the Scientific Reports journal.
The researchers also hope that the findings of this study lead to healthcare professionals warning, and also educate patients who require PPI drugs.
There are different foods which can naturally neutralise stomach acid.
Here are some foods that heartburn patients may incorporate in their diet:
- Ginger: This is used as a natural home remedy for gastrointestinal problems which include heartburn.
- Oatmeal: This is said to have the ability to absorb stomach acid.
- Lean Meats: The best way to reduce symptoms of acid reflux.
- Nuts and Seeds: We can consume walnuts, flax seeds etc. and these are said to have healthy fats and this help heartburn patients.
- Yogurt: It has the characteristics to soothe stomach acid and also help in improving digestion.